I'm learning polygon modeling through messing around in the free form section of Fusion 360. I started with a quadball, and after pushing and pulling I ended up with legs and a torso. After a dog started to take shape, I generated a ball to model the eyes.
I finished my senior design project at WashU! It has been a long and rewarding process. I worked with two students in my class, Daniel Martin and Sam Fortmann to produce this prototype of a knitting machine. We designed it to be easier to load than the conventional method. Since our team was not allocated a lot of money, we were only able to make the frame out of wood and couldn't use motors. Our prototype demo worked well, and we were able to thread all of the eyelets all at once as seen in this picture.
We are now going through the process of applying for more funding through organizations at WashU. We are going to make the frame out of extruded aluminum to add structural stability, and add stepper motors to drive the four axis. We fully developed the loading mechanism for the machine, and are currently working to add functionality so that it can produce fabrics.
I made this wallet at TechShop St. Louis. The pattern was designed in Corel Draw and then laser etched the pattern out of leather. An industrial walking foot sowing machine was used to put it all together. I had to make sure that the raster setting on the logo was not set too high. Initially the setting was too high causing the leather to burn. I then paused the print and brought the raster intensity down to 30 percent. That did the trick and the curling burning stopped.
If I were to do this project again I would laser etch the logo after the wallet was fully made; that way it would be easier to make sure that it was in the perfect place. I initially took photos of the wallet on a desk with poor lighting, but when I got coffee later that day I found it as the perfect opportunity for a photo shoot. The wood grain brings out the deep browns of the wallet that would be otherwise lost.
I made this set of laser etched glasses as a gift for a family member. The family crest is on one side, and the first letter of the last name is on the other. I had to use a rotary attachment to the laser etcher to accommodate the curve of the glass. It always takes a little bit of time to resize the artwork so that it fits on the glass in the way that you imagine. However, after I got started each glass took about 6 minutes, which wasn't too long. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, although, if I were to do it again I would try to get a crisper image quality on the crest.